Home > Enroll > Helpful Tips

Helpful Tips

Helpful Tips


Paying for School

The Financial Aid Office is available to help you complete your FAFSA or CASFA. Schedule an appointment in Navigate to get assistance. For Appoinment Type, select Financial Aid and for service, select Help with Completing the FAFSA/CASFA.

Financial aid is specific to each student. October 1st of each year will open up the next academic year’s Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). The sooner you get this completed the better. If you do not qualify for FAFSA based on your citizenship status, you may be eligible to receive state financial aid through the Colorado Application for State Financial Aid (CASFA). Learn more about CASFA and see if you qualify on our ASSET page. 

After you complete your financial aid application and it is processed by our Financial Aid Office, log in to myPikesPeak Portal and select the Student Finance tab in the menu. Next, under My Financial Aid Information, choose "Award Overview" and select the academic year that you are checking. The offer(s) that you see in your Award Overview will vary if you are not enrolled as a Full Time student (taking 12 credit hours or more).

Video: How to check and accept your financial aid award

Grants are automatically accepted for you, so there is no action required by you for grants to be accepted.

Pikes Peak State College has partnered with BankMobile to deliver your financial aid refund.  You can set up your refund preference or double check your refund preference.

Log in to myPikesPeak Portal and select the BankMobile icon from the Dashboard.

This is specific to each student. Log in to myPikesPeak Portal and select the Student Finance tab in the menu. Next, under My Financial Aid Information, choose "Award Payment Schedule" and select the aid year that you are checking. This will show you the anticipated date for your awards to pay out to Pikes Peak.

Keep in mind, this is the day it pays to Pikes Peak State not the day you will receive your refund.

Financial Aid payout will not occur until after the drop date of classes which varies for each part of term. Financial aid pays out on Mondays.

You have the right to cancel all or part of your loan within 14 days of your loan disbursement. If you wish to cancel any portion of your loan, you must submit a completed and signed Loan Adjustment Form - Cancel to any Pikes Peak State Financial Aid Office requesting cancellation.

If your funds have already been paid, canceling all or part of your loan will require you to return loan funds directly to the lender. Your lender’s information can be found at StudentAid.gov. You will need to log in using your FSA ID.

Complete the Loan Adjustment Form - Increase and return it to any Pikes Peak State Financial Aid Office requesting the funds for the desired semester.

This is specific to each student.  A ‘withdraw’ from a class means that a student is still financially responsible for the class cost. Calculations are performed at the end of each semester to determine the percentage of the class that was completed. This will affect the amount due for the class that will need to be paid back to Pikes Peak State as we will have to return the funds to the government.

If a student does a ‘complete withdraw’ (withdraws from every class during a semester), they will be automatically ineligible for financial aid for the next semester of attendance and must submit an appeal for reconsideration. The student may also be liable to pay a portion of money back to Pikes Peak State. 

Your financial aid is awarded with the assumption that you will enroll as a Full Time student, meaning you are registered for 12 credit hours or more. If you register for less than 12 credit hours, the award will be prorated as long as the award is high enough to prorate down.

Grants such as the Colorado Student Grant or the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) will only prorate to 6 credit hours and will not award for fewer than 6 credit hours.

Student Loans and work study awards will only award at 6 credit hours or more. 

Another reason could be that you are on Financial Aid ineligibility in which case you will not receive any Financial funds

PPSC student cutout
PPSC Culinary Arts student cooking during class


Before adding any classes to your schedule, we always recommend meeting with an Academic Advisor to build your Academic Plan. Once you know what classes to take, there are three ways to add or drop from a class:

  1. Log in to Navigate. Go to your planner and select "View/Edit Schedule." Select the drop down menu from the top left corner of each registered class. Select "Drop Course."
  2. Log in to myPikesPeak Portal, click on the "Add/Drop Class" icon on the Dashboard. Select the term. Next to "action," select what you would like to do. Click "Submit Changes" when finished.
  3. Stop by Enrollment Services and ask to fill out a Registration Form

Video: Registering for classes in Navigate

Video: Dropping a Course in Navigate

Each of our campuses and buildings have an assigned location code – i.e. Rampart Range Campus is RRC.

We recommend checking your class details in Navigate a day or two before your class begins in case there is a classroom change.

Day of the week code:
Monday - M
Tuesday - T
Wednesday - W
Thursday - R
Friday - F
Saturday - S
Sunday - U

Video: How to find and interpret your class schedule 

You will use D2L to access your classes throughout the semester. To access D2L, go to myPikesPeak Portal and choose Course Access from the Dashboard icons. Check D2L on your first day of class well before your class begins.

Click the link for each class you are taking to view:

- Class syllabus
- Instructor contact information
- Required course materials
- Announcements

Video: Accessing D2L for Your Online Class


Visit the Pikes Peak State College Bookstore Webpage to order your textbooks. 

Students who are receiving a financial aid refund (getting more in financial aid than they owe the school for tuition and fees, therefore resulting in a refund) are eligible to purchase required books and supplies, two weeks in advance of the start of the semester, at the Pikes Peak State Bookstore and charge them to their financial aid refund.

Video: How to Purchase Textbooks Online

Pikes Peak State's Student Life Office offers student clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. Visit the Student Clubs and Organizations page to see what might be a good fit for you.

We also have different types of weekly events sponsored by Pikes Peak State. Like our Facebook page to stay up to date on upcoming events.

As a Pikes Peak State College student, you will have a college email account as soon as you register for classes. It is important you check your college email account on a regular basis because you will receive time sensitive messages from Financial Aid and other departments.

After you register for classes, activate and access your student email by clicking the email icon in the student tools area of your myPikesPeak Portal dashboard. You will not be able to see this icon until after you register for classes.

Learn how to forward your student email account to your personal email.

Video: How to Access Your Student Email

As a student at Pikes Peak State, you may quickly learn that there are common terms that are used within the college setting that may be new or unclear to you. Don't worry - you are not expected to know it all on your own! Check out our Glossary of Common Terms to help you familiarize yourself with important words and phrases to know throughout your college experience.

PPSC student cutout