Home > Colorado Residency

Colorado Residency

About Colorado Residency

Definition of Residency for Tuition Purposes

To be considered a Colorado resident, a student (or the student’s parent/legal guardian if the student is under 23 by the start of the term), must have lived in the state for the immediate 12 months prior to the start date of the semester and intend to stay for the near future. 

Your residency classification determines the tuition rates you will pay

Initial Residency Classification 

Initial residency classification is based on the answers a student provides to the residency questions on the admissions application. 

How to Reclassify Your Residency Status

  • If you are a new student who has been classified as a non-resident and feel you are a resident, you may complete a Colorado Residency Declaration form. 
  • If you are a continuing non-resident student and feel you now meet residency requirements, you must complete a Residency Petition. 
  • If you are under 23 but would like to use your information for residency instead of your parent/legal guardian information, you must submit a Residency Petition with the emancipation portion completed.
  • If you are maintaining residency in a WUE approved state, you may submit a WUE application for a reduced tuition rate.
  • If you do not meet the regular residency requirements, but have military affiliation, you may complete the Military In-State Tuition form.
  • If you are an American Indian student affiliated with a tribe that has historical ties to Colorado, you may submit an American Indian Tribes with Historical Ties to Colorado request.

Turning in residency documents for review does not guarantee you will be changed to resident status. If your request is denied and you do not drop your classes by the drop date, you will have to pay non-resident tuition


The final deadline to have your residency reclassified, for the term in which you are seeking reclassification, will be the day before the next full-term semester begins. For example, if you are requesting a residency reclassification for a fall class, you must submit your request the day before full-term spring semester classes start. View the academic calendar to review semester start dates. 

However, we strongly encourage you to submit your reclassification and supporting documentation BEFORE the drop date of the earliest part of term that you are enrolled. The drop date is the last day to receive a tuition refund and ensure that no grade is given for the class. Drop dates vary and are listed in the Detailed Student Schedule in the Registration section of your myPikesPeak Portal. Submitting your residency documents before your drop date ensures that you can drop your class(es) if you do not wish to pay the non-resident rate.

Eligibility Based on Colorado High School  

A student may be eligible for residency if they have attended a Colorado high school for at least one year preceding the date of graduation and the student has lived in Colorado for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the start of classes at Pikes Peak State College.

For any questions, please e-mail Residency@pikespeak.edu.

Include your student number with all correspondence and forms.


Residency Forms

Three Students Smiling in Class

Residency Petition

Use this form if you have attended PPSC in a prior term as a non-resident and you believe you may now meet residency requirements. If this form doesn't load the first time you try, please refresh the page and try again or try another browser.  

You may also use this form if you are under 23 and have not attended PPSC but you are seeking emancipation from your parents for tuition classification purposes. To qualify as emancipated, students must be able to demonstrate financial independence without support from their parents. If you are independently supporting yourself, please complete this petition for our review. Your parent will need to complete the Parental Statement for Minor Claiming Emancipation and get it notarized. This form and other supporting documents can be uploaded through the Residency Petition link below.

Downtown Campus

Colorado Residency Declaration

If you have attended classes at PPSC as a non-resident in a prior term, do not use this form. Use this form if you have NOT previously attended classes at PPSC as a non-resident and you believe your residency determination is in error. You may also use this form if information was missing from your initial admissions application. If this form doesn't load the first time you try, please refresh the page and try again or try another browser.

Military students in class

Military Residency

If you are an active duty service member, veteran or a dependent and the responses on your admissions application did not provide us with this information, you may still be eligible for in-state tuition rates. 


Rampart campus with mountains in background

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Students who are currently residing in Colorado but have maintained residency in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming or in the US territories of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or Guam may be eligible for WUE tuition rates. Students who use this program are declaring they are maintaining residency in a state other than Colorado. For this reason, students using WUE benefits are not establishing Colorado residency. If approved, a WUE application provides WUE rates for one term. Students may apply for WUE each term they attend PPCC.
Exterior of Centennial Campus

American Indian Tribes with Historical Ties to Colorado

American Indian students who are registered members of a federally recognized American Indian tribe with historic ties to Colorado (as designated by the Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs) will received resident tuition rate, if not already classified as a resident for tuition purposes.