Colorado Springs, CO 80912
Army Tuition Assistance
Soldiers with course start dates between 8 – 30 September 2023 must submit their TA Request in ArmyIgnitED no later than (NLT) 2000 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) 1 September 2023 to ensure their TA Request is approved prior to the closeout period.
Tuition Assistance Basics:
Tuition Assistance funding is capped at $4000 per year OR 16 semester credit hours.
Tuition Assistance only covers the tuition portion of your bill and it does not cover
any associated fees or textbooks for the class(es). Tuition Assistance Requests (TARS) may be submitted 60 days prior to start of class
and must be approved no later than 7 days prior to the start date. TARS will only
be approved for classes that apply toward the declared program/major with the school.
Requesting TA does not enroll you in a PPSC class--it only secures funding. TA funded
classes that do not receive a grade of "C" or higher are subject to recoupment by
the Army. This includes withdrawing from the class. If military duty prevents you
from completing the course satisfactorily contact the MVP office at Fort Carson.
Who Can help?
The PPSC Military and Veterans Programs office in the Fort Carson Education Center has Military Enrollment Specialists available for drop-in assistance. They can help you select a degree program, apply, complete placement testing or review prior college transcripts for placement exemption and help you get registered for classes. This is the team who assists with your Tuition Assistance as well. You can come in to our office and bypass making an appoint on campus. Contact information: 719-502-4200 during business hours Monday-Thursday 0800-1700 and 0900-1700 on Fridays.
Fort Carson Army Education Center, Bldg. 1117, reception desk or call 719-526-2124 for ArmyIgnitED specific issues.
How to Get Started:
1. Become a student at Pikes Peak State College:
2. Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)--You may be eligible for PELL Grant to help pay for books and fees. Free FAFSA assistance for soldiers and their families is available through the TRIO EOC office in the Fort Carson Education Center, Bldg. 1117, room 108. Contact Robin Young at 719-526-6819 / firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule an appointment.
3. Set up your ArmyIgnitED v.2 Account: (New account setup required even if you had
an old ArmyIgnitED account in v.1)
What you need: Your CAC card, Your PPSC Student ID # (ex. S0123456789) and The Degree or Program you selected at PPSC.
Setting up your Educational Goal (*unless you are taking classes for AMED programs):
Virtual Briefing and TA User Agreement:
Creating a TAR (Tuition Assistance Request): Must be submitted no later than 7 days prior to start of term.
*Army AMED Programs: If you are enrolling to PPSC to complete prerequisite coursework for Army medical programs such as their RN, IPAP, etc. Select an Associate of General Studies degree when applying to ensure all coursework is eligible for TA and other potential grants and scholarships (Classes must satisfy a degree area requirement). You will work with an Army Counselor to manually create an Evaluated Degree Plan under Special Programs in ArmyIgnitED. Contact the Fort Carson Education Center at 719-526-2124.
College Credits for Military MOS and Training:
Please click on the PPSC Getting Started Guide for steps on becoming a student using tuition assistance (TA).
1. Attend a TA Briefing at your Base Education Center. Here is information on the local Air Force/Space Force education centers:
2. Ensure that you are a Pikes Peak State College (PPSC) student. If you need to apply, complete a PPSC application. Make sure you answer "yes" to being Active-Duty on your application to ensure you are shared the lower online tuition rate capped at $250 (for Active-Duty) per credit hour AND receive the in-state tuition rates for Active-Duty.
3. Register for classes through your PPSC Student Portal using Navigate.
4. Log into the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC) to select your classes and enter the TA request information.
5. Submit for approval no sooner than 45 days and no later than seven (7) days prior to start of class term.
6. Your TA request, once approved, will digitally route to PPSC Financial Services.
For information on requesting an Evaluated Degree Plan click on EDP.