Home > Military > Benefits > Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance

Army, Air Force, and Space Force require service members to complete a Tuition Assistance briefing prior to accessing their tuition assistance. 

Tuition Assistance

Army Tuition Assistance


Tuition Assistance Basics:

Tuition Assistance funding is capped at $4000 per year OR 16 semester credit hours.  Tuition Assistance only covers the tuition portion of your bill and it does not cover any associated fees or textbooks for the class(es). Tuition Assistance Requests (TARS) may be submitted 60 days prior to start of class and must be approved no later than 7 days prior to the start date.  Your TA request must match the start and end dates per each class--information found on your Detailed Student Schedule in the portal under the Student Tab. TARS will only be approved for classes that apply toward the declared program/major with the school.  Requesting TA does not enroll you in a PPSC class--it only secures funding. TA funded classes that do not receive a grade of "C" or higher are subject to recoupment by the Army.  This includes withdrawing from the class.  If military duty prevents  you from completing the course satisfactorily contact the MVP office at Fort Carson.

Who Can help?

The PPSC Military and Veterans Programs office in the Fort Carson Education Center has Military Enrollment Specialists available for drop-in assistance. They can help you select a degree program, apply, complete placement testing or review prior college transcripts for placement exemption and help you get registered for classes.  This is the team who assists with your Tuition Assistance as well.  You can come in to our office and bypass making an appoint on campus. Contact information: 719-502-4200 during business hours Monday-Thursday 0800-1700 and remote support (phone and email mvp@pikespeak.edu) 0900-1700 on Fridays.

Fort Carson Army Education Center, Bldg. 1117, reception desk or call 719-526-2124 for ArmyIgnitED specific issues.

How to Get Started:

1.  Become a student at Pikes Peak State College:

  • Complete a PPSC Application.  Make sure you answer yes to being Active Duty--used to code you as Active Duty so that you are charged the lower online tuition rate capped at the TA cap of $250 per credit hour AND instate tuition rates for active duty. 
  • Complete a College Opportunity Fund (COF) application at https://cof.college-assist.org/ .  College Opportunity Fund is a State of Colorado program that lowers your instate tuition down to the amount Tuition Assistance pays for.  Failure to submit a COF application will increase the amount that YOU PAY OUT OF POCKET in addition to fees.  COF has a lifetime stipend of 145 credit hours.
  • Log into your student portal at www.pikespeak.edu and select COF under STUDENT TOOLS.  Then select the term you are enrolled in. We STRONGLY recommend you select "I choose to Authorize Lifetime use of my COF Stipend, until I revoke this authorization by selecting another option."  This ensures you do not forget each semester. 
  • First Time Students--attend a Mandatory Orientation for PPSC.
  • College Readiness--complete Accuplacer test (in person Fort Carson office walk-in Monday --Thursday 0830-1430. EdReady (web) or submit prior college transcripts showing college level ENG and/or Math for placement exception emailed to mvp@pikespeak.edu subject line Army placement exemption. TA will not fund developmental/co-requisite classes without a test score to demonstrate need.
  • Register for classes through your student portal through Navigate on your Dashboard or Add/Drop classes on your "Student" tab at the top of the page.  Recommended registration deadline to ensure Tuition Assistance processing is 18 August 2022. 
  • Print or screen shot your Detailed Student Schedule (located in your student portal, Student Tab, Registration Tools, Detailed Schedule with drop dates).

2. Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)--You may be eligible for PELL Grant to help pay for books and fees. Free FAFSA assistance for soldiers and their families is available through the TRIO EOC office in the Fort Carson Education Center, Bldg. 1117, room 108.  Contact Robin Young at 719-526-6819 / robin.young@csupueblo.edu for more information or to schedule an appointment.

3. Set up your ArmyIgnitED v.2 Account: (New account setup required even if you had an old ArmyIgnitED account in v.1)

What you need: Your CAC card, Your PPSC Student ID # (ex. S01234567) and The Degree or Program you selected at PPSC.

Account Activation:

  • Go To https://www.armyignited.army.mil/
  • Insert CAC card and then Click on Login.
  • It will ask for your PIN, enter it and then Login.
  • This brings you to your Dashboard with menu selections on the left side.

Setting up your Educational Goal (*unless you are taking classes for AMED programs):

  • Click on "Educational Goal"
  • Select your goal type -- PPSC students will select Associates Degree unless enrolled in a PPSC Bachelor's Program.
  • Select your Academic Institution--Pikes Peak State College.
  • Select a Degree Program--this should match what you selected on your PPSC application.
  • Check the box that says "No Degree Plan File" and Next (you will upload an Evaluated Degree plan later)
  • Select Semester Hours and Next
  • Review and Submit.  Once approved or disapproved, you will receive a message in your student message section of this portal.  Contact the Education Center at 719-526-2124 if you have questions.

Virtual Briefing and TA User Agreement:

  • You must complete the Virtual Briefing and accept the TA user agreement annually--this covers TA regulations and should be read carefully.
  • Face to Face TA Briefings and open lab hours to assist with ArmyIgnitED are offered by the Fort Carson Education Center, call 719-526-2124 for details.

Creating a TAR (Tuition Assistance Request):  Must be submitted no later than 7 days prior to start of term.

  • You will need your Detailed Student Schedule with start and end dates (print out or screen shot).
  • From your dashboard select "Apply for Funding".
  • Verify contact information and update as needed.
  • Read the User Agreement and select "I Agree Continue
  • Confirm that Pikes Peak State College is showing and Main Campus is displayed (you do not need to change if taking classes on other campuses)
  • Enter your Student Number (S#) and then Next.
  • Look at your class schedule and identify the start and end dates Select the matching term by dates and Next.
  • Select your course by subject and course number (i.e. ENG 1021).  You can search by subject.  PPSC has all courses loaded--do not manually add a class.  Call 719-502-4200 if you cannot find your class.
  • Verify: Code = ENG 1021 (ex), Title - English Composition I, Level - Undergraduate, Location = either DL/Online or Campus, Credit Hours - (see your schedule) and Credit Type = SH.
  • Cost per class--Resident rate with COF either campus or DL/Online Active Duty Military (CCC online and PPCC online charge the same).
  • You will see a confirmation page "Tuition Assistance Request Application: Application Submitted.  PPSC will pull a digital copy of your approved TAR from the portal--print a copy for your own record.  YOUR Army Education Counselors can assist if an approved TAR needs to be edited (section cancelled so you enroll in a new part of term, etc.).
  • Do not submit multiple classes on the same TAR.  Repeat steps above for each class. Classes with multiple start dates cannot be entered on the same TAR due to a system issue.  Creating individual TARs for each class will allow for different parts of term and prevent having to resubmit all classes if one needs to be cancelled.
  • Tuition Assistance will be posted to your student account after the drop date for each course.  If you drop a class by the drop date, we will reject that TA during the invoicing process. 

*Army AMED Programs: If you are enrolling to PPSC to complete prerequisite coursework for Army medical programs such as their RN, IPAP, etc.  Select an Associate of General Studies degree when applying to ensure all coursework is eligible for TA and other potential grants and scholarships (Classes must satisfy a degree area requirement).  You will work with an Army Counselor to manually create an Evaluated Degree Plan under Special Programs in ArmyIgnitED.  Contact the Fort Carson Education Center at 719-526-2124.

Evaluated Degree Plan--required prior to requesting Tuition Assistance for a 3rd course.

  1. Log into your student portal: www.pikespeak.edu
  2. On your Dashboard select DegreeCheck
  3. Open Degree Check and select print.  Print to .pdf and save file.
  4. Log into your ArmyIgnitED account, click on the message icon (envelope) and attach your Evaluated Degree Plan. It will route to the Army Education Counselors for approval and uploading. 

College Credits for Military MOS and Training:  

  • PPSC will order official copies of your JST transcripts once you are enrolled in two classes, after the drop date.
  • Student ordered JSTs are not evaluated.
  • PPSC does not evaluate and award PLA college credit to non-students. 
  • ACE recommended credits that equal a class required to complete your degree will be brought in as Military Prior Learning credits prior to the end date of your classes.
  • An Associate of General Studies has 30 open electives that can be satisfied by Military PLA.  Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees rarely receive credit from JSTs as training an MOS skills are usually career and technical rather than academic. 
  • Questions regarding Active Duty JSTs?   Email mvp@pikespeak.edu or call our Fort Carson office at 719-502-4200.


Active Duty Air Force/Space Force  

Please click on the PPSC Getting Started Guide for steps on becoming a student using tuition assistance (TA).

The Department of Defense requires all active duty Air Force/Space Force personnel TA to receive approval from the Education Service Officer prior to enrolling in college classes. 


The following is a summary of those steps:

1.  Attend a TA Briefing at your Base Education Center.  Here is information on the local Air Force/Space Force education centers:





Colorado Springs, CO 80912


2.  Ensure that you are a Pikes Peak State College (PPSC) student.  If you need to apply, complete a PPSC application.  Make sure you answer "yes" to being Active-Duty on your application to ensure you are shared the lower online tuition rate capped at $250 (for Active-Duty) per credit hour AND receive the in-state tuition rates for Active-Duty.

3.  Register for classes through your PPSC Student Portal using Navigate.

4.  Log into the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC) to select your classes and enter the TA request information.

5.  Submit for approval no sooner than 45 days and no later than seven (7) days prior to start of class term.

6.  Your TA request, once approved, will digitally route to PPSC Financial Services.


For information on requesting an Evaluated Degree Plan click on EDP.

Contact PPSC-MVP at the Peterson SFB Education & Testing Center for support:

  • 719-502-4300 
  • mvp@pikespeak.edu