Home > Student Life and Resources > Counseling Center > Counseling Center FAQ

Counseling Center FAQ

This page is currently under construction!

Please check back soon for information on all the great services PPSC provides! 
woman two

I want more information on:

Our Mission Statement

The mission is to support student success by providing information and services related to emotional wellness. 

Our Goals

• Provide brief interventions for all PPSC students who have problems or concerns that might interfere with academic progress. Promote Diversity Equity and Inclusion and Hispanic Students Initiative. 

• Provide a wrap-around service model when appropriate that includes referrals to community services for longer mental health interventions or basic needs (housing and food security, utilities, etc.)

• Provide consultation and education to faculty, staff, and students related to mental health among college student. 

What you can expect:

  • Six free sessions up to 50 minutes. 
  • Walk-ins available as schedule allows.
  • Styles of therapy:
    • Cognitive Behavior.
    • Solution Focused.
    • EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). 

For more information call: 719-502-4782. 

Our Confidentiality Statement:

  • All records in the Counseling Center are personal and confidential. This information can only be released outside the center with your written consent. Privacy of your records and anonymity extends to situations where a client is referred to the Counseling Center by a faculty member, administrator or friend. Except under certain circumstances (listed below), no parent, academic dean, instructor or future employer will know of a student's use of the Counseling Center.

Are my mental health counseling records entered into my school records?

  • Mental Health Counseling records are not a part of the educational record. We keep separate records from other administrative documents kept on campus and notations about counseling are NOT made on a student's official college record.

E-mail Policy:                                                                                                                                                                

  • Given that E-mail is never confidential, it is our policy to limit use of E-mail for communication as much as possible unless it is the preferred method of communication and permission is given by the client.

The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies:

  • The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) has the general responsibility of regulating the practice of licensed psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, licensed marriage and family therapists, certified school psychologists and unlicensed individuals who practice psychotherapy. The agency within this Department that has the responsibility specifically for licensed and unlicensed psychotherapists is the Colorado State Grievance Board.

Confidentiality exceptions:

  • The Mental Health Counselor’s duty of confidentiality do not apply or is irrevocably waived in the following circumstances:

    • If it is suspected, or the student reports, child or elderly abuse

    • If action must be taken to protect the student or others from harm

    • If ordered by the court to testify or deliver and release records to a third person

    • To protect the mental health counselor in a lawsuit or grievance


  • Mental Health Counselors are under professional standards that prohibit the disclosure of any information that students tell them during a counseling session, except by a release from the student or under specific circumstances. Exclusions may include: harm to self or others; abuse of a minor, elder or vulnerable adult; health/medical emergency; scheduling, or other circumstances required by Colorado law. Mental Health Counselors will review confidentiality and these exclusions with you.

Confidentiality and Parent Communication with the Counseling Center:

  • The Colorado mental health code ensures confidentiality for people seeking mental health services. We are unable, therefore, to give any information about a student, including whether s/he is being seen at the Counseling Center, without the student’s written consent. This may feel frustrating to you when you are reaching out in concern for your child. Asking the student for permission for the counselor to speak with you may easily resolve this.


  • Brings together a network of licensed mental health counselors that support colleges and their counseling centers in meeting the mental health needs of their students. Our counselors have diverse backgrounds and mental health specialties, allowing students to connect with a counselor that best meets their specific needs. In addition, all of our counselors have extensive experience working with college-aged students and typically come from the local referral networks of higher education institutions.
  • Gives students access to virtual counseling from the privacy and convenience of their laptops and smartphones, with sessions available during days, nights, and weekends. 
  • Licensed counselors are intentionally diverse, representing different racial identities, cultures, and languages, as well as specializing in various mental health issues . 1 out of 4 college students experience a mental health issue.
  • Bettermynd is on a mission to make mental health resources more accessible to college students.
For more information visit: BetterMynd.

What is BIT?

PPSC’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) is a team of individuals across campus who are trained and focused on supporting a safe learning and working environment for the college community.

Team members include:

PPSC's BIT is Part of a National Organization

The PPSC Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) is a member of the National Behavioral Intervention Team Association (NABITA). Each of the Colorado Community College System (CCCS) colleges has a behavioral intervention team that works similarly to PPSC’s. PPSC's BIT is committed to making sure we are prepared and equipped to support students as they pursue their education at PPCC.

What is Single-Stop?

  • Single Stop is a grant-funded program that provides support to
    people who need resources to combat basic needs insecurity.

Single-Stop offers assistance with:

  • Locating food pantries on- and off-campus
  • Determining eligibility for human service programs such as food stamps, TANF, WIC, and LEAP
  • Referrals for housing support in the community
  • Other vital community resources


  • Kandy Ruiz, Single Stop Coordinator
  • Kandy.Ruiz@pikespeak.edu
  • Office: (719) 502-3020
  • Cell Phone: (719) 323-5057
  • Office Hours: Monday - Thursday from 8 am - 5 pm, Friday 9 am - 5 pm 
  • Centennial Campus, Aspen Building, Room A-316c

Find our your eligibility here: Single Stop Screening Tool.



  • 1-844-493-8255

  • Text “TALK” to 38255

  • Home | Colorado Crisis Services

  • Colorado Crisis Services is the statewide behavioral health crisis response system offering residents mental health, substance use, or emotional crisis help, information and referrals. 

211 Colorado

  • Referrals for food, transportation, childcare, caregiving, housing - Dial '211' or visit www.211colorado.org

What Happens When You Make a Report?

  • The PPSC Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) receives your report immediately after you click submit.
  • We review your report and will contact you (if you’ve provided contact information) if we need more information.
  • PPSC's BIT assesses the case and creates an appropriate intervention for the student.
  • Within privacy-law boundaries, we may provide you an update.


Fill out a report here

What PPSC's Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) Does in 3 Simple Steps:

  1. Gather data – report intake and initial follow-up with reporters.
  2. Data analysis – use of objective rubric to assess data (NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool).
  3. Intervene – engage the PPSC resources best equipped to support the student.

You should report if someone you know is experiencing:

    • Personal problems
    • Family problems
    • Changes in behavior
    • Changes in appearance
    • Health problems
    • Crying
    • Talking to self
    • Poor attendance
    • Changes in social interactions  
    • Appearance of substance or alcohol abuse
    • Expresses dark thoughts
    • Changes in communication 
    • Being bullied
    • Writing or making disturbing comments.
  • These and other behaviors may be a signal that a someone is in need of support. PPSC is its strongest when each of us takes the time to actively care about each other. If you think a student may need support, submit a report! You may report anonymously, and please know that PPSC's BIT takes all reports seriously. The earlier we know something is going on, the sooner we can help.
  • If someone is an immediate danger to themselves or someone else, CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY.

Which report do I fill out? 


Academic Concern - Use this form to report an academic concern. An academic concern is defined as concerns with instructor behavior, class policies, and unfair expectations or demands. If your concern regards alleged discrimination or harassment (i.e., gender, age, sexual, race, etc.), use the Discrimination/Harassment Complaint form below or contact Human Resources at (719) 502-2600.


Concern/Complaint - Use this form to report a concern or complaint about a service department or an employee in a service department. If your concern or complaint is about an instructor, or an issue relating to an academic course, please use the Academic Concern Form. Examples of service departments are Financial Aid, Enrollment Services, Financial Services, Public Safety, Career Planning & Advising, Learning Commons, etc. If you are alleging harassment or discrimination, please use the Discrimination/Harassment Complaint form below or contact Human Resources at (719) 502-2600.


Discrimination/Harassment Complaint - Use this form if you believe that you have been unlawfully discriminated against, harassed or otherwise harmed. You are encouraged to fill out this complaint form; however, you can also contact HR by phone at (719) 502-2600 or by email at hrs@pikespeak.edu to have your complaint investigated.


Facilities Concern- Use this form to report a problem or concern about a college building, classroom, exterior grounds, etc. Please note the quickest and most effective way to submit your concern is by contacting the Facilities Front Desk at 719-502-2800 where your concern will be received by Facilities Dispatch.


All students and employees who test positive for COVID-19 must stay off campus and complete this reporting form.


Student Conduct Issue or Distressing/Disturbing Student Behavior - Use this form to report violations of the Student Code of Conduct , distressing/disturbing student behavior OR academic dishonesty. You can also contact the Dean of Students office.